Sloppy Billy Joe
* 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
* 1 large onion, sliced and chunked
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 1 pound ground beef
* 14 ounces can whole tomatoes, undrained
* 1 bottle Chili sauce (not hot sauce, but the stuff you make cocktail sauce out of)
* 1 bay leaf
* 4 tablespoons chili powder
* 4 ounces can sliced mushrooms, drained
* 1 tablespoon sugar
Saute green pepper and onion in butter for about 5 minutes, stirring to prevent burning. When traslucent, add the buger and mix and cook until burger is nearly all brown. Add the tomatoes by crushing them in your hand before adding them to the pan. Add chili sauce, bay leaf, chili powder, mushrooms and sugar.
Cook on medium low heat, stirring occasionally. Skim fat, if desired. Serve on toasted bread or rolls.
This recipe for Sloppy Billy serves/makes 6.